Philadelphia Eagles center Jason Kelce officially announces retirement

 PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- Philadelphia Eagles center Jason Kelce has officially retired from the NFL after 13 seasons.

Kelce held an emotional, 45-minute press conference Monday at the NovaCare Complex in South Philadelphia, with his parents, Ed and Donna, and brother, Travis Kelce of the Kansas City Chiefs, in attendance.

The 36-year-old wore a sleeveless Eagles T-shirt and immediately burst into tears. "Let's see how long this lasts," Kelce said.


During his tear-filled press conference, Kelce recounted his storied career with the Eagles and thanked those who helped him reach new heights, both in Philadelphia and from his childhood.

Kelce played 13 seasons for the Eagles, won a Super Bowl, and released two Christmas albums.

"It has always been a goal of mine to play my whole career in one city. And I couldn't have dreamt a better one and a better fit if I tried," Kelce said. "I don't know what's next, 

but I look forward to the new challenges and opportunities that await. And I know that I carry the lessons from my time here and that forever we can all share the bond of being Philadelphians."

Philadelphia drafted Kelce in the sixth round of the 2011 NFL draft out of the University of Cincinnati. He played for four head coaches: Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, Doug Pederson, and Nick Sirianni.

Kelce was named to seven Pro Bowls in his career and named an All-Pro six times. He was both in 2023.

"I must admit, I am officially overrated. Vastly overrated," Kelce said. "But it took a lot of hard work and determination getting here. I have been the underdog my entire career and I mean this when I say it, I wish I still was. Few things gave me more joy than proving someone wrong.

 My mother used to tell people and still says, 'If you want Jason to do something, all you have to do is tell him he can't.' And that was true in more ways than I care to admit. I relish doubters, they fueled a fire within."

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url